Tuesday 11 November 2014

Elizabeth's Block

Last night I was able to finish Liz R's block for the Garden & Flowers DYB RR.
Liz's block was a joy to work on. I simply adored the colours. Most of my stitching was kept in the colours of the block - various greens and purples, and a rusty red-ish touch pulled from a small section of the flowers in the silkie - with gold silk highlights to lift it.

The lace on the bottom left is the second of the two oldest antique laces I have, being cut from a bodice overlay (the other oldest lace was used on Flora's block). This was sewn into place with purple crown stitch on the seam, and gold silk and beads on the lace itself. The flower centres on the edge are done with metallic gold seed beads and gold glass pearls, the flower centres in the body of the lace are done with very light gold tinged Swarovski crystals topped with a metallic gold seed bead. The one on the far left is very close to the seam, but has been sewn on separately from all other stitching, so it can be removed for sewing the block up. It was just as easy to sew it in place where it belonged, as to sew it one inch over into the seam allowance for 'holding'.
Next were the rest of the seams, done in a variety of silk ribbon, Caron Wildflower hand-dyed pearl threads, DMC pearl threads, glass rice pearls, seed beads of various sizes, and some of the wonderful glass flower beads I recently bought from Kathy S.


The last seam done was the one on the top right as that was the most time consuming. It is a continuous drizzle stitch vine, with purple beads scattered through out for buds (or berries - depending on your preference).


Then the web was added, along with Mr. spider at the top of the block, and the dragonfly in the bottom right corner.

5 comments:

  1. The drizzle stitch vine is fabulous! I need to learn how to do that one! Beautiful block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! The Continuous Drizzle Stitch is a Rosalie Wakefield-Millefiori one. I have her tutorial for it on my Pintrest - the 'Crazy Patchwork' board, up near the top of the board
      http://www.pinterest.com/zombieworm

      Delete
  2. Oh Dana, this is just too lovely! Thank you so much for all your hard work. I am so pleased, I just don't have words. Just ask Cathy K., that is hard to do to me. LOL! Love every bit of the block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thrilled you are happy with it! You have waited - ever so patiently! - for such a long time for me to get my butt into gear and get it done.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love this block! Great piecing, and you've embellished it to perfection. I am in love with the purple and green spider; wish I had one in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete