Saturday, 13 September 2014

Candji's Block

Finally, at long last, I am back on track with my embroidery, and have finished my work on Candji's block for the G&F Traditional RR.

With the area left to do, it seemed to naturally divide into a centre block, and a block down the right side. I chose to do the section down the right side.

As always with CQ, I started with the seams. My first seam was the long one that separated the area I was going to do from the area left for Arlene to stitch. I did this in a purple feather stitch, adding detached chain, and dark purple seed beads, to give it the look of a climbing vine.

The second seam was the one on the bottom patch, which I did in green stepped blanket stitch, adding detached chain leaves, detached chain petals in peach, and metallic gold seed beads.

The third seam was the one along the third-from-bottom patch. This I did in dark red herringbone stitch, adding gold metallic daisy spacers, and garnet seed beads in the centres.

The last seam, along the bottom of the top patch, was done in apricot Cretan stitch, with pearlized apricot seed beads and metallic gold hearts added.

I used a lot of metallic accents to pick up on the high sheen and metallics in the fabrics that were used in the block.

I then worked the motifs from the bottom up. The first was the patch of violets.

On the second patch I did a silver metallic spiderweb, with a pearl spider. The legs of the spider were done in a single strand of DMC Pearl Effects thread.

On the third patch I embroidered two stalks of hollyhocks.

On the last patch I did lovely Japanese Cherry blossom. I thought a descending tree branch was very fitting for the top patch.

I hope Candji is happy with the work. Now It will head off to Arlene for finishing.

1 comment:

  1. Dana, your work is gorgeous! Your stitching is so delicate. Your seams are fabulous! And I adore the spider web and the cherry blossom. Beautiful.