Wednesday 16 October 2013

First Post

People have been saying to me for some time now "you should be doing a blog", "why haven't you got a blog?". Yeah, Right! Just what the internet needs - yet another somewhat crazy stay-at-home blogger!
However, here we are. My blog. Blogging my way to health and happiness - snort! OK, not so much, I just thought that that sounded like a good cheesy thing to say.
How about - chronicling my adventures and misadventures in crafts, gardening, cooking, and preserving, periodically punctuated with opinionated apostrophizing. Far more accurate.

I have fairly recently joined CQI, an online crazy quilting group, and have embarked on my first ever Round Robin. That's where a group of - in this case five - people each make a block (or several blocks), then sends that block (or blocks) to the next person in the group. That person embroiders 1/5th of the total number of seams (or one block if you are doing the 'several blocks' version), then sends it all to the next person who does their embroidery, and so on, until it comes back to the person who made the blocks. In the end everyone has a block (or blocks) that has been embroidered/embellished by each member of the RR (Round Robin) group. The block(s) can end up going all over the world, depending on who is in the RR group.
For this RR, we have one person in New Zealand (me), one in Canada (that's the person sending to me), and 3 in the U.S. I received the first block yesterday, and have started the embroidery. I have to say, I am quite pleased with what I have done so far, I just hope Rose Anne likes it.

I have also signed up for the 2014 crazy quilt Journal Project (there is a link for it on the right hand side of the blog). That will be great, and quite a challenge. It will be my first patchwork/quilt done with the block method. I normally do all my patchworks/quilts with the 'whole cloth' method, to make them fit the sheet I am using as a backing. I have been wanting to do a full size, fully embellished CQ for some time, and have been collecting the fabrics, threads, charms, etc. for it for a while. This is the incentive I need to actually get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment